201MC: Professional Experience
What are employers looking for?
- Visual Impact
- Quick and Easy
- Error Free
- Technical Skills
- Transferable Skills
- Tailored to the company/role
Preparation: Identify your unique set of strengths:
- Skills you’ve learned on the course
- Relevant Experience
- Evaluate my own work
- Initiate, develop and realise distinctive and creative work
- Work flexibly, creatively and independently
- Be self disciplined
- Organise and manage projects
- Work productively in a team or group, showing abilities to listen, contribute and learn
CV font shouldn’t be bigger than 10.
- Personal Details:
-Name, contact details (email/number), address
-Short statement representing you (degree you’re doing/aims/how you’re unique)
- Education and Qualifications
-(How many GCSE’s from grade A*-C)
- Relevant Work Experience
-Dates from and to
-Contribution (e.g. ideas, stepping up etc)
-Put details onto CV
- Additional information
-Relevant and unique
- Your area of specialty (camera, sound, post production etc.)
- Link to website/online portfolio
- Technical Skills (what equipment can you use)
- Transferable Skills (how can you do that job/what responsibilities do you have)
- Relevant Employment
- Filmography- ones as part of the course and ones made commercially or for another purpose
- Driving licence etc.
Relevant Work Experience:
- Use Action Words
- Be specific- fact, results, feedback
What did you do? What are you proud of?
Do I send a Creative CV?
- Can create a positive and lasting impression
- Know the company
- Your CV can stand out from others
- Choose images relevant to organisation/role and clear
- Images must enhance and complement your CV but still have room for details
- Can use humour or clever strapline
- The quality of the ending is paramount
Cover letter or email
- Use the name of the person you’re writing to
- Do your research before you write
- Show you are keen, capable and professional
- Be specific about what you’re seeking- work placement? Job?
- Give dates available and outline your objectives
- Outline how your skills, experience and interests match the company’s’
- How will the company benefit?